1. “Father Abraham has many sons, many sons has father Abraham...”
2. One of the great themes of Scripture: Abraham as father.
a. Gen. 15:5 – “number the stars...So shall your offspring be.”
b. Gen. 17:4,5 – “the father of a multitude...your name shall be Abraham”
c. Rom. 4:16 – “Abraham, who is the father of us all, as it is written...”
3. Abraham’s children are the heirs of the benefits that have come through the new beginning God made after sin entered the world.
1. Abraham’s children are like him.
a. John the Baptist: “...do not presume to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father...” (Matt. 3:9)
b. Jesus, to those who said Abraham was their father (John 8:31-59)
i. “...you would be doing what Abraham did...” (v. 39,40)
ii. “...Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day...” (v. 56)
c. Paul: “...it is those of faith who are...blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.” (Gal. 3:7,9)
2. Abraham’s children walk in the footsteps of his faith.
a. Abraham appears as a key figure in God’s plan of salvation.
i. Gal. 3:16 – “...the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring...who is Christ.”
ii. Gal. 3:29 – “...if you are Christ’s...you are Abraham’s offspring...”
b. “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” (Rom. 4:3)
i. Apart from any work he could do (v. 4-8)
ii. Before he had received circumcision (v.9-10)
iii. When the demands of the law had not been made (v. 13-15)
c. Abraham was dealt with this way for good reasons that still apply to us.
i. Because there is one God before whom no man can boast (3:30; 4:2)
ii. In order to make the promise rest on grace and guarantee it to his children (4:16)
iii. So that all who believe may have a common heritage and stand as equals before God (4:11,12)
3. Abraham’s children are blessed along with him.
a. Rom. 4:25 – What Christ did for us is what Abraham was promised.
b. Rom. 4:23,24 – The benefit for us is that we are reckoned as righteous.
c. Rom. 4:22 – His kind of faith is the basis of this blessing.
d. Rom. 4:19-21 – The nature of the faith being considered is described.
e. Rom. 4:18 – The promise upon which his faith rested is stated.
f. Rom. 4:17 – The character of the God who made the promise is the issue.
1. “The one who shares the faith of Abraham...”
a. Is fully persuaded that God will do what he says he will do.
b. Surrenders to him and relies upon his promise.
c. Lives continually with that trust as the controlling principle of life.
2. Galatians 3:26-29
3. “...I am one of them, and so are you, so let’s all praise the Lord...”