“FOR WE DO NOT KNOW...”
1. “And we know that...all things work together for good...”
2. “For we do not know what to pray for as we ought...”
1. We do know some things about prayer.
a. That we ought always to pray (Lk. 18:1)
b. That we can ask in the name of our Lord (Jn. 14:13; 15:16; 16:23,24)
c. To ask in faith, with no doubting (James 1:6)
d. That we may pray about any care (1 Pet. 5:6, 7)
2. We do not know what to pray for as we ought.
a. What is really best for us now
b. What is needed in view of the future
c. How to put it into words
1. We have some instructive clues.
a. 1 Kings 3:5-14
b. John 12:27, 28
4. We may observe an example in practice.
a. Acts 16:25-34, where personal well-being is at issue
b. Acts 20:36-38, where the spirit of brothers is concerned
c. Acts 27:33-36, where others are involved
1. Less for personal benefit than for the good of the community of God’s people.
a. Matt. 6:9, 10
b. 1 John 5:14, 15
2. “...but the Spirit himself intercedes for us...”