“AND THEY HAVE CONQUERED HIM”
1. “I have overcome the world....And they have overcome him...”
2. This is the chapter that describes how they did it.
3. It is a drama with three main characters.
a. A radiant woman: the people of God
b. A great red dragon: who is called the devil and Satan
c. A male child: the exalted Christ
4. A furious dragon makes war on our brothers.
5. By what means are they to conquer him?
1. What Has To Be Overcome
a. The actions of the dragon
i. That ancient serpent: temptation
ii. The deceiver of the whole word: misrepresentation
iii. The accuser of our brothers: condemnation
b. The allies of the dragon
i. Ruling power that opposes faith
ii. False religion that compromises faith
iii. Worldliness that ruins faith
2. How It Has Been Overcome
a. Because of the blood of the Lamb
i. Loosed, bought, and washed (Rev. 1:5; 5:9; 7:14)
ii. Triumphed over them in the cross (Col. 2:14-15)
iii. Who is to condemn? (Rom. 8:2, 33-34)
b. Because of the word of their testimony
i. That Jesus is Lord (Rom. 10:9; Heb. 3:1; 10:23)
ii. In life, in deed, in word (Col. 3:17)
iii. Holding out the word of life (Phil. 2:16)
c. Because they loved not their lives even unto death
i. Even if it cost life (Rev. 2:10)
ii. Will keep it for eternal life (Jn. 12:25)
iii. If only I may finish my course (Acts 20:24; 21:13)
1. Our Lord has overcome the world. Our brothers have overcome the evil one. Our expectation is to overcome with them, through him.
2. The gospel of the grace of God says that any one of us can. 1 John 2:13-14
3. But overcoming will take what it always has, cleansing, commitment and courage