WHAT A FATHER’S CHARACTER MEANS TO A FAMILY
2 Peter 1:5-8
1. “In 20 words or less, the best advice your father ever gave you...”
2. When thinking of character, bear in mind...
a. There is one godly character.
b. Instruction the Bible gives for any role is the application of that one character to the particular task.
c. That character will be developed and refined as it is being applied to that task over time.
3. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (show the verses)
4. What a father’s character means to a family, 2 Peter 1:5-8
a. Something to grow from: “faith”
b. Something to shoot for: “virtue”
c. Something to guide along: “knowledge”
d. Something to come under: “self-control”
e. Something to stay with: “steadfastness”
f. Something to wonder at: “godliness”
g. Something to warm to: “brotherly affection”
h. Something to count on: “love”
5. “...they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful...”
6. Having thought on a father’s character...
a. If your are a dad, renew your diligence at increasing in these qualities.
b. If you have a dad with any of these qualities, identify them and express your appreciation.
c. If you missed out on a dad with this kind of character, make certain you are setting in motion a new cycle.
7. What God has granted through the knowledge of Christ...
is to be accepted through active faith in him.