The Unity Worthy of Our Calling – 2
“AND ONE SPIRIT”
1. A couple of familiar sayings from James may illustrate the significance of our theme.
a. “The body without the spirit is __________.” (2:26)
b. “A double-minded man is ____________ in all his ways.” (1:8)
2. The church has life and is one people because it is filled with the one Holy Spirit of God.
a. Eph. 2:18 – “both have access in one Spirit”
b. Eph. 2:22 – “being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit”
3. To grasp the unity of the Spirit is to avoid being lifeless and unstable.
1. One Spirit
a. The Holy Spirit has the same personal qualities as the Father and our Lord.
i. He is a “who,” not an it or an experience. (Eph. 1:14)
ii. He acts along with the persons of the Deity. (Eph. 1:11-13)
iii. He has the emotions of a person. (Eph. 4:30)
b. The Spirit is at work in pursuit of the same eternal purpose as the Father and the Son.
i. He reveals salvation. (Eph. 3:5; 6:17)
ii. He seals those who obey the gospel. (Eph. 1:13, 14; 4:30)
iii. He builds and strengthens the church (Eph. 2:22; 3:16)
2. The Same Spirit
a. The Holy Spirit is not to be equated with his gifts.
i. Acts 19:2-3
ii. Acts 19:5-6
iii. 1 Corinthians 12:4, 12-13
b. Where the Spirit is, some things are the same.
i. There is one message. (1 Cor. 2:9-13; 14:37)
ii. There is one godly character. (1 Cor. 2:14-3:3; Gal. 5:22-23)
iii. There is one people in service to the Lord. (1 Cor. 11:17-14:40; 16:2)
3. One body and one Spirit
a. The church must understand itself as the community of the Spirit.
i. He dwells in the church corporately. (1 Cor. 3:16-17)
ii. As members of the body, he dwells in us. (1 Cor. 6:19-20)
iii. Christians have life and stability because of him. (Rom. 8:9-11, 13-15)
b. The church must be eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit.
i. In our inward attitude. (Eph. 4:2)
ii. In our outward behavior. (Eph. 4:26-32)
iii. In our upward devotion. (Eph. 5:18-21)
1. Brotherhood is based on having the same Spirit.
2. The ministry of the Holy Spirit is a spiritual blessing we have been given in Christ through the riches of God’s grace.
3. As with every promise of God, the promised Holy Spirit is to be received through the obedience of faith.